Urinary Catheterisation is a procedure used to drain the bladder and collect urine, through a flexible tube called a catheter. Our Catheterisation Training Course is designed for both RGN’s & Care Staff and covers both theoretical and practical elements.
Within this catheterisation training, you will develop the required knowledge and
understanding to perform the skill within your clinical or care setting.
You will look at the key aspects of catheterisation including legal and professional considerations, reasons for catheterisation and the process itself.
Once you have completed the online learning session you will need to complete a practical session and competency assessment at your place of work / training centre or external placement. Please arrange this with your manager.
Module 1: Introduction to Catheter Care Training
- Learning outcomes and overview
Module 2: Definition and Reasons for Catheterisation
- What is a Urinary Catheter?
- What is Urinary Catheterisation?
- Why is it necessary?
- When should the procedure be done?
- Methods of catheterisation
- How often should indwelling catheters be renewed?
Module 3: Anatomy and Physiology
- What is Urinary Elimination?
- Normal Micturition
- The Urethra
- The Prostate Gland
Module 4: Legal and Professional Considerations
- Gaining Consent
Module 5: Choosing the Most Appropriate Catheter
- Three types of catheter
- Catheter size
- Catheter length
- Catheter tip style
- Catheter materials
- Urine Drainage Bags
- Catheter valves
- Suprapubic catheterisation
Module 6: The Urinary Catheterisation Procedure
- Levels of Support
- Effective Hand washing
- Male catheterisation
- Female catheterisation
- Post procedure
- Documentation and Record Keeping
- Routine and Daily Catheter Care
Module 7: Potential Problems, Medical Problems and Other Conditions
- Potential Problems and Solutions
- Autonomic Dysreflexia
- Causes of Autonomic Dysreflexia
- Treating and prevention of Autonomic Dysreflexia
- Sex and Catheterisation
- course Details
- exam & certification
- ask a question
- additional information
Type: Online Interactive User-Friendly Training With Downloadable Documentation
Accreditation: Nationally Recognised CPD Accredited Courses
Access: 24/7 Unlimited Accesses For 12 Months
Duration: 1 Hour (Counts Towards CPD Hours)
Evidence: Learning & Certification Remain On The System Indefinitely
Exam & Assessment
Certificate: A CPD Accredited Certificate is Instantly Available Upon Completion
Exam Type: Online Multiple Choice Assessment
Exam Included: Exam Is Included In The Price
Exam Retakes: Unlimited Retakes At No Extra Cost
The catheterisation training course comes complete with a multiple choice exam and a nationally recognised CPD Certificate.
What Are The Benefits of CPD
- Gain new skills
- Improve job prospects
- Enhance employment opportunities
- Improve career satisfaction
- Tracks prior learning
- Up-to-date with your job requirements
- Enhance your CV
- Help lead the way to further education
- Demonstrates commitment and value
- Preparation for promotion
Multiple Choice Assessment
- Once you have completed the learning you will participate in a multiple-choice assessment.
- A pass mark of 75% is required.
- The online test is marked automatically, receiving an instant grade.
- We offer an unlimited pass guarantee.
- Don’t worry if you don’t pass or want to improve your grade, with our unlimited pass guarantee can retake the test as many times as you wish to at no extra cost.
Nationally Recognised Certification
- All our courses are accredited by the CPD and are nationally recognised.
- Once you have completed your assessment you will be awarded a free accredited certificate in PDF format which is immediately available.
- The certificate will display the CPD logo as proof of your knowledge and competencies gained from taking this course.
- Hard copies of the certificate are available at an additional fee of £3.99. These are purchased once the course is completed online.
- All evidence of learning and certification will remain on our system to peruse for your future reference.
Additionally, once you’ve completed the Catheterisation Training, you may be interested in deepening your skills and knowledge with one of our other online clinical training courses.
Our statutory, mandatory and specialist health and social care training courses are delivered in line with the relevant UK legislation and recommended practice including:
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Alignment to the Skills for Health’s Core Skills Training Framework (CSTF)
- Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE)
- The Resuscitation Council (UK)
- Qualifications and Credits Framework (QCF)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) revalidation for registered nurses and midwives