The MCA training course explains the provisions of the Mental Capacity Act (MCA) and the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DOLS), and how they may impact on employees working, or planning to work, in the health and social care sector.
The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) came into force in 2007 and was designed to strengthen the protection of vulnerable adults. This was followed by The Deprivation of Liberties Safeguards (DOLS) being implemented in 2009.
This online course provides background to the MCA and its relationship to DOLS and how those working within the care sector can ensure compliance whilst carrying out their job role. You will also gain an understanding of how to keep the best interests of those that you care for who may or may not be able to consent.
The first three modules explores in detail how mental capacity is assessed, and the various ways in which lack of capacity can be planned for, including advance decisions, lasting powers of attorney, the office of public guardian and the role of the court of protection.
Modules 4, 5 and 6 examine the key elements of the DOLS legislation, including the assessment process, looking at how an authorisation is obtained, the Code of Practice and the role of the Court of Protection.
This MCA training is an online awareness course, which when completed will enable you to achieve a Level 2 certificate.
Module 1: Mental Capacity Act
- Defining mental capacity
- What constitutes a lack of mental capacity
- Who the mental capacity affects
- Other factors that can affect capacity
Module 2: Mental Capacity and Other Legislations
- The mental health act
- The five principles of mental capacity act
- Deprivation of liberty safeguards
- Assessing capacity
- Decision making and planning ahead
Module 3: Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA)
- Procedures for creating and registering lasting powers of attorney
- The office of the public guardian
- The court of protection
- Restraint and deprivation of liberty
- Dispute resolution
- Confidentiality and information sharing
Module 4: Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- The law regarding DOLS
- Why DOLS were introduced
- Who is affected
Module 5: Key Elements of the Safeguards
- Urgent authorisations
- Carrying assessments
- Code of practice
Module 6: The Court of Protection
- Recognising/supporting those who have been unlawfully deprived of liberty
- Course details
- Exam & Certification
- ask a question
- Additional information
Type: Online Interactive User-Friendly Training With Downloadable Documentation
Accreditation: Nationally Recognised CPD Accredited Courses
Duration: 1 Hour (Counts Towards CPD Hours)
Access: 24/7 Unlimited Accesses For 12 Months
Evidence: Learning & Certification Remain On The System Indefinitely
Exam & Assessment
Certificate: A CPD Accredited Certificate is Instantly Available Upon Completion
Certificate Cost: Free To Download Online As A PDF. Hard copies Sent To Your Address For £3.99 (Optional)
Exam Type: Online Multiple Choice Assessment
Exam Included: Exam Is Included In The Price
Exam Retakes: Unlimited Retakes At No Extra Cost
The MCA and DOLS Training course comes complete with a multiple choice exam and a nationally recognised CPD Certificate.
What Are The Benefits of CPD
- Gain new skills
- Improve job prospects
- Enhance employment opportunities
- Improve career satisfaction
- Tracks prior learning
- Up-to-date with your job requirements
- Enhance your CV
- Help lead the way to further education
- Demonstrates commitment and value
- Preparation for promotion
Multiple Choice Assessment
- Once you have completed the learning you will participate in a multiple-choice assessment.
- A pass mark of 75% is required.
- The online test is marked automatically, receiving an instant grade.
- We offer an unlimited pass guarantee.
- Don’t worry if you don’t pass or want to improve your grade, with our unlimited pass guarantee can retake the test as many times as you wish to at no extra cost.
Nationally Recognised Certification
- All our courses are accredited by the CPD and are nationally recognised.
- Once you have completed your assessment you will be awarded a free accredited certificate in PDF format which is immediately available.
- The certificate will display the CPD logo as proof of your knowledge and competencies gained from taking this course.
- Hard copies of the certificate are available at an additional fee of £3.99. These are purchased once the course is completed online.
- All evidence of learning and certification will remain on our system to peruse for your future reference.
Additionally, once you’ve completed the MCA training course, you may be interested in deepening your skills and knowledge with one of our other Care Worker Training